Cleaning with Essential Oils and Norwex- Petri Dish Experiment

This post needs to be prefaced with a few facts. #1. I am a geek. I will fully admit it. #2. I am a total germaphobe. Grant's needs have created this in me. I now fully embrace the title and take it upon myself to do this crazy experiments, and then share my findings with all of you. You're welcome. :)

Ok, here is a little back story. I have been using essential oils for a few years now. It started as an attempt to help boost Grant's limited immune system and try to keep him out of the hospital. I started to use more and more when I saw the positive results that they had for our family. Over the last few years, I have developed a decent oils collection and am a total oils junkie. I have wanted to see if cleaning with essential oils would be a good option for our family, but I am INCREDIBLY hesitant to believe all the posts on Pinterest that give "recipes" for natural cleaners that use about 20 drops of oil to 8+ounces of water. I believe in the potency of oils, but that felt far too diluted for me. I attended an oils class through Butterfly Express (the company I purchase most of my oils from) and they suggested that it needed to be closer to 20-30 drops of oil per ounce of water (depending on the oil) for true disinfecting. That felt better to me, so I decided to test it out. I had also attended a Norwex party and while I liked the cleaning ability of the products, I was not sure that I bought that these rags magically picked up the bacteria and then allowed them to self destruct within the rag (which contains silver... a natural antibacterial agent). I decided to test out the Norwex claim, as well as some of my favorite cleaners (Clorox Anywhere, Lysol wipes, two cleaners from Melaleuca, and white vinegar). I called up a friend of mine at the lab, got some ready to go Petri dishes, sterile swabs, and designed my experiment (finally my research methods classes from undergrad and grad school come in handy!). I tested 20 surfaces and split them between 10 petri dishes. I was consistent between each experiment and followed the cleaner's instructions for true disinfecting. For each cleaner, I sprayed the cleaner, allowed the surface to remain wet for 10 minutes, wiped it with a paper towel, and then swabbed the surface.

I incubated all my petri dishes for 48 hours in an incubator at the lab set at 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit . The lab tech told me not to incubate my bacteria at room temperature because my results would be misleading if I was looking for bacteria that would make the body sick.

Test #1: Remote Control : I wipe our remote control down weekly, but this is what grew. In almost all of me essential oils experiments, I decided to mix 25 drops of oil into 2 ounces of water and test it at half strength (to what I was told as a general guideline from the people at Butterfly Express). I decided to do it this way to see what I observed at a reduced potency because if it was possible to conserve oils and get the same effect, I wanted to know. I used Sunburst blend which is a general purifying blend (you can look up the ingredients list at butterflyexpress.net). As you can see, it got rid of most of the nasty bacteria (the larger spots on the petri dishes were the more dangerous types of strains according to my lab friend and her microscope). The smaller spots where related to bacteria that you would find on the surface of your skin and not something that would make you sick.
For #2-#4, I had rubbed raw chicken juices on my dual basin sink the night before. I made every person who had been at my house spit, sneeze, or cough in that sink prior to swabbing (I know... I am a geek with awesome friends). I wanted it to be DISGUSTING! :) I divided the sink into 4 quadrants, took a before culture, and then tried out the Norwex Envirocloth, a Lysol Wipe, Vinegar (mixed one part vinegar, one part water), and a Melaleuca cleaner, Sol U Guard. You can see the results below. I wasn't very impressed with the Norwex, it did take care of picking up some of the nasty bacteria, but it left a lot behind still. The Lysol wipe did what it said it would. I wiped it, allowed the surface to remain wet for 10 minutes, and there was practically no growth from it. I tested vinegar mainly because it gets hyped as the wonderful all purpose cleaner. I will continue to use vinegar to clean my walls, floors, and to de grease, but it was NOT antibacterial at all. Good to know! The Sol U Guard cleaner also did quite well against most of the nasty strains. As my friend at the lab reminded me, sometimes the best cleaners will also leave behind some of the good bacteria, so a totally clear petri dish is good to see, but one that makes a big difference in the amount of growth also indicates a good cleaner.




For #5, I mixed a blend of two different essential oils. I used Melaleuca oil (purchased directly from Melaleuca, although Butterfly also sells it as Tea Tree oil) and a Butterfly Express blend, Deliverance. Melaleuca and Deliverance are both known to have significant affects at killing bacteria, fungi, and even viral strains, so I was excited to see them as cleaners. I swabbed the floor right in front of our kitchen trash can in our trash closet. It was pretty gross and needed to be cleaned, but it was disgusting to me to see just how many different strains grew out of this culture. YUCK! I was also totally impressed with the oils mixtures (16 drops of Melaleuca and 14 drops of Deliverance to 2 oz of water). It reduced the bacteria growth a LOT, and that was mixed at half strength.

# 6 was a before and after swab of our baby's high chair. Miles is very much into learning to self feed and so despite getting wiped down every day, our wooden restaurant style high chair sees a lot of leftover food residue. Yuck. I tested out my beloved Clorox Anywhere Spray. I love this stuff. It claims to be 99.9% effective at destroying certain germs and is safe for food surfaces within 2 minutes. We spray down our toys with this all the time because it is ok to play with if the surface is still a little wet. It is a little hard to tell from the picture, but the type of bacteria growth on the petri dish is different in the smaller swabs. I didn't pre clean the high chair and so there were some food particles that were on the swab and made it into the petri dish. This skewed my results a little and I would like to repeat this test on a different surface. I won't stop using it anytime soon though because it was effective.  


#7 was one of my most interesting experiments. I wanted to recreate a situation just like I do things in my normal cleaning routine. I first swabbed a before on our Master Bathroom sink and then I sprinkled a few drops of Orange Sweet oil around the sink. I grabbed a dish scrubber that had been washed in the dishwasher the week before and had been sitting on the edge of the sink (but not actively used). I used the dish scrubber to move the oils around and then let it sit for ten minutes before wiping it out with a paper towel and testing again. You will notice in the picture that there is significant bacteria growth on the Orange Oil side, yet the structure of the colonies look very different from the before side. Obviously, my dish scrubber was contaminated with germs that had been splashed on to it over the last week (or still harboring within after coming out of the dishwasher). I learned my lesson... dish scrubbers are not going to get my sink clean! I often do this at the end of the day because I like how my kitchen smells, but now I will know to sanitize it in another way and then spray my orange oil from a spray bottle into my sink to further sanitize and leave me with that wonderful citrus smell.  

For #8, I split the kids bathroom sink in half and sprayed one with an essential oils blend made with 25 drops of SpiceC (similar to DoTerra's OnGuard) to 2 oz of water (half of the strength that the company recommended, but still far more than most online cleaning recipes). SpiceC is designed to boost immunity in the body and fight viral and bacterial infections, so I was curious how it would hold us as a disinfectant. I did not swab a before on the sink because I figured that the germs in it were very similar to our Master Bathroom sink. I sprayed the sink, let is sit for 10 minutes, then wiped out with a paper towel before swabbing. There was still some growth, but none of the large colonies were present which my friend at the lab told me was a good sign and that it was doing something, but probably needed to be stronger to fully eradicate the germs. 
The second side was cleaning the other half of the sink with a clean Norwex Envirocloth. I wet the cloth with hot water and then scrubbed the sink, even folding it in half and using a new side after going over the sink once. There was still a lot of growth in that side, but again no major colonies. 
Experiment #9 was cleaning the potty seat that fits on our normal toilet seat that Grant uses. I wipe it down with a clorox wipe a few times a week, but it had been a few days and so I wanted to test two products, one on each half. It probably would have been better to have a before for comparison, but based on how the seat looked a little dirty, I was confident that it was plenty germy. I applied a few drops of Lemon oil straight from the bottle on one side of the seat and rubbed it around with a paper towel until the whole surface was wet. I let it sit for ten minutes before wiping it off with another paper towel. I was totally impressed with the results. The undiluted oil did a fantastic job. For the other side, I used a Melaleuca product called SolUMel. It is a natural based cleaner and we use it frequently around the house. I sprayed it, waited ten minutes, wiped it with a paper towel and then swabbed the surface. It was also a great cleaner with hardly any bacteria growth.
My final petri dish (#10) was a swab of the rim of the toilet in the kids bathroom. I took a before sample and then used a new Norwex Envirocloth that had been wet with hot water to scrub. I scrubbed the best I could, rotating surfaces of the cloth and then let the water dry from the rim. I swabbed it again and according to the petri dish, it managed to pick up the large bacteria colonies, but actually just spread some other bacteria all around the surface. Yuck. I will not be buying into the Norwex claim that I can rub raw chicken on a counter top, wipe it with a cloth, and eat off the surface. I do like the Norwex cloth because it does seem to clean well and doesn't get as smelly as my other rags with repeated uses, but as for replacing my cleaning products with these, I think I will pass.

Wow. I congratulate you if you have actually read this post to the bottom! I am documenting this mainly for my friends and family who love my inner geek and wanted to see my results. I know my experiment is not perfect, but it was so gratifying for me to see if these products really do what they say they will do. Because of Grant's body, we are continually looking for ways to keep bacteria at bay and our home is our safe haven. We do not allow sick visitors. We have very few kids over to play and are very cautious in our home with shoes off, hand washing, lots of laundry, and steam cleaned floors. This just reassures me that the ways I have been cleaning our home are effective and hopefully it has been helpful for someone else. Since this experiment (which was actually 3 months ago and I am just now finishing the post. Oops!), I have increased the concentration of my essential oils cleaners and continue to buy lots of Lysol and Clorox wipes. I mix my natural cleaners to the highest recommended potency and feel good about my efforts. I already have a running list of the next Petri Dish experiments I want to complete and my friends at the lab either think I am crazy or the coolest mom ever (yeah... definitely crazy). I will have an entry ready to go if we ever decide to host a heart mom science fair! :)

Comments

Ashley said…
Thanks for sharing!! I bought Norwex cloths several months ago and have had the same skepticism but couldn't find any real data about it online. They are nice cloths, but I will not trust their claims of being able to clean your toilet and then your kitchen without so much as rinsing the rag! Yikes!! In all fairness, they do only claim (in writing) to kill bacteria inside the cloth, not on surfaces. (Which is a little misleading at best, if you ask me...) Anyway, thanks for sharing this data!!
Jaimie said…
Thanks, I love this post. It helped me tons
Chase and Amy said…
Awesome! I'be been wondering about your experiment lately and how it turned out. I'm so glad you found some dishes and a lab to incubate them. Thanks for the research... I think I'll be changing some of my cleaning pruducts now. You're amazing!
Jenny said…
Great post! I'm just starting to learn about essential oils and all their uses. Thanks!!
Shay said…
Have you tried these awesome cleaners. http://www.cleanhappens.com/ they work wonders and smell amazing and so safe for your family. I also have a little one with HLHS.
MomaLaw said…
Thanks for sharig. I have often wondered how clen my clean is and now I know I need to do better.
Blogful said…
I LOVED this post. I am a total germaphobe too, but I cannot imagine how hyper I'd be with Grant. Way to go, girl! Just food for thought: America's Test Kitchen did a test of house-hold cleaners and Method's multipurpose (in a purple bottle) came out way ahead of others that had harsher chemicals/questionable ingredients. I've recently been reading about Triclosan too and been trying to avoid certain products. So much misleading information out there. You should go get a microbiology degree. Ha ha!
.:sommersclan:. said…
I love this post. Thank you for testing these products. I would love to be able to talk to you about your sweet angel son. My email is ksommers14@ymail.com. If you ever have a minute to email me I would love to get into contact with you😊
.:sommersclan:. said…
I love this post. Thank you for testing these products. I would love to be able to talk to you about your sweet angel son. My email is ksommers14@ymail.com. If you ever have a minute to email me I would love to get into contact with you😊
Unknown said…
Great comparisons - thanks for going through all the effort and sharing! Just curious though, when you used Norwex, did you use it folded in four and used it flat against the flat surface? And was it wrung out well? I know if these things are not done, the results will be different. I was told these cloths were hospital-tested, and they left the surfaces clean enough to be able to perform their procedures. I just want to add some balance in here - hope you don't mind. I love these products and would be sad to turn others away from therm. This might help - here is a recent challenge done in a lab and shared on the news... http://www.wmctv.com/story/23517214/andy-will-it-work-norwex-antibac-microfiber-cloth . There is one inaccurate statement here... the silver inside the cloths does not remove it from the surface (Andy probably mis-quoted her) - the fibers do the removing, and the silver self-purifies the cloth. They really are an awesome option for cleaning - maybe try another Norwex test and see if the results are different?
Praying your little guy stays healthy and out of the hospital - you are clearly working hard to keep him safe. Good job mom :)
Michelle said…
Thanks for sharing. I'm especially interested in how vinegar doesn't kill the germs (what? pIneterest is wrong?!), since I use that quite a bit, and in the Norwex, since I have a friend who swears by them and I've been skeptical. I love that you did this and hope you share more of your findings from future studies. :)
Allison said…
Hi Hilary, just to clarify, I did fold the enviro cloths (and I used 3 different ones... Two brand new cloths that I borrowed from a friend and another that has been used for a few months, but was freshly laundered). I used a new cloth for each place I tested the Norwex so as not to cross contaminate, used hot water, rinsed the cloth and wrung it out, and then switched to a different surface area after each pass with the cloth. I really wanted to believe their claims (one of the whole reasons I went through the trouble to do my experiment) but sadly in three different tests, the prooof is in my Petri dishes. I don't intend to knock any products, simply test it out for myself using as accurate a research design as I could following the disinfecting instructions for each product used. I feel like the Norwex cloths do a good job cleaning up gunk, but they will not be used in my home to disinfect any surface. The study you refer to was actually the Norwex cloths being used in a hospital cafeteria, not an operating room or any place where surgical instruments are used. Sadly, I did a LOT of digging into the Norwex research and the three most commonly sighted studies all were paid for by the company (a big warning sign for impartiality) and they really couldn't hold up to the claims I was hearing from consultants (also trained by the company). I did these tests because I wanted to see it for myself before I put my immunocompromised son at risk. I would love to see others try similar experiments in their own homes, incubate in a lab, and share their results!
Jenn said…
I love that you did this and am so grateful! I recently purchased some castille soap and was going to make my own cleaner by mixing it with essential oils and water. Do you have any guesses as to how effective it would be as a household cleaner?
Allison said…
Jenn, I honestly have never used Castile Soap, so I have no idea how effective it would be as a cleaner. If you want it to be a disinfectant as opposed to just a general all purpose cleaner, than I would make sure to only mix small batches (what you will use in that one day) and use enough essential oils to make it potent and strong (at least 25-30 drops per ounce). If you are just going for a light cleaner that will smell good, you could reduce the amount of oils you use and just use them for the fragrance and cleaning power without being at full strength. I am no expert, just a curious mom who wanted to know what my cleaners were doing. Good luck!
Just a couple more informational pieces about Norwex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBNaTDm6NE

http://www.wmctv.com/story/23517214/andy-will-it-work-norwex-antibac-microfiber-cloth

Enjoy!
carebear56560 said…
I find it interesting that your Norwex test went so bad when a news station went to and actual lab and did its own independent study and the results were fantastic. http://www.wmctv.com/story/23517214/andy-will-it-work-norwex-antibac-microfiber-cloth
There results in a Lab setting were 92% for Norwex. There are many things you could have done to have contaminated any of the dishes as you were not following full lab protocol. When lab test are done on any thing these protocols need to be followed Home test of any kind can go wrong. Norwex and other ways can not make claims that they do without having to pass and jump threw major hoops. Check out the link above for the Lab testing.
Allison said…
Thanks for the thoughts. I had watched that news clip (shown to me originally by a Norwex Consultant) and it was in part what led me to do my own investigating. I obviously do not have a lab in which to do a specific count of bacteria level, but I was surprised that my results were quite different visually from what this lab found. I did everything in my power to keep my research method pure and consistent in all my experiments (as described in depth in the post)and in three different experiments with a new cloth each time, I still had poor results. Like I said earlier, I liked the envirocloth for the cleaning ability on my surfaces, but I personally will not trust that the surface is in any way free from bacteria after using the cloth.
beading said…
I like that you try to be thorough and all the test you did but you are not a scientist and things can bow wrong. I would like to share this video with you: http://www.wmctv.com/story/23517214/andy-will-it-work-norwex-antibac-microfiber-cloth

If you are concerned about the health of your child you should look more into the ingredients of cleaners, laundry detergents, cosmetics and such. The chemicals in there will be way more harmful than the germs you find in your home!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orGUqeI1Rjo
Amy said…
I just bought a bunch of Norwex products and I'm sad to see they didn't work as well as they claim. I did my own digging too (before buying) and found the video clip many of the people keep posting. I also found those Norwex studies you talked of after my purchase. I work in Animal Health and understand how studies are set up. After having my party, I thought about the infamous Chicken Juice test. I wondered if it appeared the Norwex cloth worked so well simply because the juice didn't have time to sit on the counter. You proved my theory that if left to set over time, the cloth can only do so much.

I will say that I never intended to fully rid my home of chemicals (I cannot fathom cleaning my toilet with a Norwex cloth only). That said, I like the idea of doing a good cleaning with chemicals (gasp) and then maintaining that clean with the cloths. I think they're great for dusting and my windows, so I can see me getting rid of pledge and windex!

Anyways - thanks for your honest review and tests.

Popular posts from this blog

Code Blue

Allison lost 23 lbs!!

Post Op back in the PICU